Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"Thoughts" for Boston, Hope for the World

Evidence of the Fall


I have a friend who has a goal to one day run the Boston Marathon.  His day was not yesterday, but my thoughts immediately went to him when I heard the news of the explosions.  Because my friend is a dad and a father, a son, a brother.  I doubt if many of those who were killed or injured yesterday were truly alone in this world; they were husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, grandfathers, granddaughters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, cousins, friends.  People’s hearts are broken today over deaths and injuries to real people, people they know and love, not just the numbers about which we are hearing and reading.  Evidence of the fall.

Yesterday was a heavy day for me as I watched the events of the day unfolding.  The talking heads on the network I turned to seemed almost giddy from the increasing numbers of injured and dead.  Having become more and more incensed with the so-called “mainstream media” over the lack of coverage of the horrendous Kermit Gosnell story, I felt this perceived glee as an angry knot in the pit of my stomach.  I know mine is an overreaction, but consider that I live in the Mid-South, where reporters move in order to be able to cover more violent crime; we get this every night we choose to turn on the news.  Evidence of the fall.

I have been regularly blogging about the needs of orphans around the world for almost a year now.  When I heard the news from Boston yesterday, I couldn’t help but think about the areas of the world where explosions like this that take place regularly.  Where fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, children are killed.  Where children become orphans.  Real people for whom very few are calling for justice of their behalf.  Evidence of the fall.

I have read comment after comment on news stories and social media where people were sending their “thoughts” to Boston.  I don’t want to be insensitive here, but those with oversensitive sensitivity meters may want to stop reading now.  Boston – and specifically the victims and their families – don’t need thoughts; they need prayers.  Sending thoughts accomplishes about as much as the “moments of silence” that are sure to come in various places around our nation.  And moments of silence will accomplish . . . what?  Moments where we can send thoughts to Boston?  Thoughts that are equated to prayer?  Send prayers to God for Boston.  When someone tells me that I am in their thoughts, I always ask them to pray for me when they think of me.  Because I, too, am evidence of the fall and need . . .

The Hope of the World


As long as there are Christ-followers in this world, there will be at least glimmers of hope.  Hope that it won't always be this way.  That Jesus really did conquer sin and the grave and that He will return to establish His eternal kingdom.  Hope that those of us who love Him and follow Him can make a difference in this world for His kingdom while there is still time.

Last night during the break in my class, my friend Dusty handed me his phone and asked me if I had seen the photos he was showing me.  I hadn’t.  Photos from Haiti.  Photos of progress on the House of Abraham.  Photos of hope on a day of heartache and cynicism.  Hope for a nation crumbling under the weight of corruption.  Hope through Christ-followers from Haiti and the U.S. who are investing in the House of Abraham.  Hope that many Haitians will become followers of Jesus because of the work there.

Is that paint on the outside?!?








That roof is looking good!
Move in day less that two months away!
 

Not signed up?  Show up anyway.  Click on the photo for the details.
Before leaving class last night, Dusty and I -- along with our friend Jeff -- planned a practice 5K run today to prepare for Saturday's Orphan Run Mississippi in Hernando.  A run that offers hope for orphans in Uganda.  Kids that we don't know but are willing to invest in.  We will have the names of orphans on our running bibs; I hope we will do more than think of them but that we will pray for them while we run.  As we cross the finish line, I hope that we will think of the victims in Boston . . . and pray for them, too. 


And Then This . . .


And then the text this morning that some dear friends of ours who desperately want to have another baby have miscarried.  Again.  My heart sinks.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Jesus Christ is the hope of the world.  If you are one of His followers, reflect Him well today.  A world groaning under the weight of sin urgently needs you to represent.



Thanks for reading.

4theVoiceless,
Al







No comments:

Post a Comment